Friday 21 April 2017

The story behind my tattoo

For the past 3 or 4 years I have been dreaming of getting a tattoo. I think it's a phase a lot of people go through in their teens. At least, it was between me and my friends in school. When I was 16/17 I remember being infatuated with looking at tattoo designs on the internet and thinking about having them done when I was old enough.

Come my 18 birthday I knew exactly what tattoo I wanted to have as my first: a forget-me-not flower.

Forget-me-nots are my favourite flower of all time. The reason for this is because they used to grow in an abundance in my Nanny's garden. As a child my Nanny was and still is one of my favourite people. I used to spend all of my free time with her. Her house was only a couple of streets over from my mother's so after school I'd rush over to her house and I'd sleep over there most weekends. She was such a caring and lovely lady. 

I have so many memories with her. Simple things like how she taught me to boil an egg, how I sometimes used to help her make rock cakes, that she used to take me on the bus down town to pick out a new colouring book whilst she had to go to the pet shop and bakery, her three Yorkie dogs and the dozens of birds she had. How I used to help feed her fish in the pond at the back of the garden and how when she became ill she never failed to make me happy.

Forget-me-nots always remind me of my Nan before she suffered with Cancer. I was too young to realise at the time that she was loosing her battle and really suffering and I didn't really understand what had happened too well when she had died. I understood what death was but I don't think I grieved right away. It took a while to sink in and I still sometimes have moments where I miss her so much and get upset.

I felt that this tattoo would help to keep her memory alive. I'm no longer able to go to her old house and I have very little physical things left of her. I have a few of her things like a doll, a watch and some broaches. I thought dedicating my first tattoo to her would be nice. 

I had it done on the 14th of April, 2017 at 11:30am; a week ago today. I have waited nearly two years to have this tattoo done and I couldn't be happier with it!


@yagooobian


I hoped you enjoyed this little story. I thought it'd be nice to share with you. What are your feelings on tattoos? Do you have some or are planning to get one? Leave me a comment below!

No comments:

Post a Comment